Monday, January 23, 2012

Four Months In!

23/1/12

As of today, I’ve spent four full months in Cameroon, which is really exciting. So much has changed over the past four months, but I don’t really want to spend this entry being nostalgic about all of that—I think I’ve covered all that pretty well over the past couple of blog posts. Instead, I wanted to give you a better update as to what I’m up to work-wise here in Batouri now that I’ve actually started some semblance of work.

As a Youth Development Volunteer, I have a lot of freedom to decide what I want to do, with who, and when. Part of that is because the program is totally new (being in the founding class has its privileges for sure,) but a lot of that is that the program was designed to combine the successful aspects of each of the four pre-existing programs and tailor it to a specific demographic: youth and families. So, over the course of my service, I could choose to work with young mothers on childhood nutrition, secondary students on financial management and goal-setting, teachers on how to approach sexual health in classes, etc. The possibilities are endless, and that’s what I really enjoy about my program: I’m not constricted to any one subject. I also have an awesome opportunity to collaborate with the other sectors, which is great because in Batouri there are volunteers from the Education, Small Enterprise Development, and Agroforestry sectors. The only sector not represented here is Health, and that was a good chunk of my training, and there’s a Health volunteer posted only about three hours away.

Now that I’ve gotten more settled into my house (key word here being “more,” as I’ve still got a long way to go before being established,) I’ve been checking out a lot of the institutions and schools that are active here in the community. Historically, Peace Corps has been really active here in Batouri, but there are a number of other local, regional, and international organizations active here as well. My host institution, Centre Pour la Promotion de la Femme et la Famille, works with women and young mothers giving technical training and general education. It’s a small organization that lacks funding, so while they have a lot of big ideas of what they would like to do in the future, all ideas constantly need to be scaled down because there’s just no money for them to work with. I’ve had two meetings there so far to get to know the staff and become more familiar with their work there, I’m headed back tomorrow with my post-mate to talk more concretely about some possibilities regarding running a soy and nutrition formation there within the next few months.

I’ve also started running some needs assessment-type work at one of the local, public secondary schools. I’ve found a really dynamic Vice-Principal to work with there, and that’s been a huge gift because he’s passionate about many of the same issues I am and he’s not afraid to address these issues head-on. This past week, I had a meeting with about 40 girls to talk about their lives at home, in the community, and at the school. In a lot of ways, their complaints were the same as the ones I would have said at their age: cliques, superiority complexes, and gossip, but there were plenty of other things that they said that were really jarring for me (being scared to walk around campus because of the harassment of boys, teachers blackmailing girls for money and sex, being forced into prostitution to pay for school fees, and being scared of being married off before finishing education.) I hope to be able to talk to the boys within the next week, and with teachers if that’s possible. The next time that the PTA meets, I plan to attend so that I can get a better sense of parental involvement and what parents’ reactions to my plans are.

Last week, I went to visit an organization that’s associated with the Catholic Mission here, Esperance Sare Jeunes. Esperance is one of the most inspirational, well-organized places I’ve found in town. They work with youth whose families can’t afford to keep them at home or send them to school giving them a place to stay, technical training in agriculture, and paying for their school fees. Be on the look-out for photos on facebook from Esperance—they tell the story of that place much better than I do. I’m headed back tomorrow afternoon with my post-mate to meet with the kids there and hear their stories and get a better idea of what the kids think that the two of us can do to improve their situations.

I have a friend who teaches the local language, Kako, to students at a private primary school in town, and he took me to his class last week, which was a blast. Benjamen also teaches illiterate parents to read and write in a village about 10 kilometers from here, so I’m hoping to go to one of those sessions soon, mostly just because I think he’s such a powerful teacher and I want to see what a village out here looks like.

So, work-wise, as you can see, things are going really well! I’m definitely finding a lot of interesting potential projects out here but, more importantly, I’m finding people who genuinely care about the work I want to do and who are realistic about the things we can accomplish together. If this first month and a half of post is indicative of what I’m in for during the rest of my time here, I’m going to be busy but there’s a definite possibility of making a lasting difference in the community, which is encouraging and exciting. As for the being busy part, let’s be honest, you and I both know that I’m thrilled to finally have things to do here (besides just cook delicious things and fiddle around with house set-up, anyways.)

No comments:

Post a Comment